Monday, September 10, 2018

Floral drawings from Cuba - Santa Maria

Mr. P and I decided on an impromptu holiday in June. We slipped off down to Santa Maria, Cuba for a week.



It's been a very long time since I've been in the Caribbean during the summer months. Even though I grew up there, I'd quite forgotten just how hot the summer months can be. I was reminded of this quite quickly on this trip.

On our first day, after breakfast and some leisurely coffee, I decided to set myself up in front of a charming bush to do some botanical sketching. I had my hat and sunglasses on, and organized myself so the sun was behind me. I'd barely gotten a sketch or two in when I realized what a poor idea this was. This was probably 10am-ish and the sun was just beating on me. It seemed like every inch of my skin, exposed or not, was dripping in sweat. While uncomfortable, I felt it was manageable. That was until I could feel the streams of sweat running down my face and collecting on my chin. Most of that ran down my neck, but some of it had the audacity to DRIP. Onto my sketchbook. Where I was working with (not water proof) markers.


After that day, all drawing occurred between the hours of 7am and 9am. The rest of the day was too hot, and evenings were spent with Mr. P. 


Here are some of the drawings I did.



The white spider lily, Hymenocallis caribaea. 


One of my reference photos


Plumeria

There was a glorious plumeria tree beside the dining room. It had blossoms on it every day we were there.

 

  
One of my reference photos


I do not know what kind of plant this is. It only grew about a foot off the ground. 



Aside from drawing, we had some good beach time and met some local lizards and kitties.

Looking at this picture I can remember the heat and the ocean breeze.


This lovely lady kept me company for an hour or so. She made herself at home on a lounge chair.


The view from the veranda of the dining room


Anolis allisoni, the green lizard wearing a blue jumper. Apologies for poor quality, he wouldn't let me get closer.